Extracted 14DEC2011 from http://tinyurl.com/c4fe4bk
From the Executive Summary:
How many kids are interested in pursing a career in STEM?
- Just about half are. The least interest in in Japan.
- The highest interest is in India and Mexico, with about 2/3rd claiming so.
When do kids decide to pursue a career in STEM?
- Usually by middle/secondary school, especially in the UK and Russia.
- College plays an important role among Indian kids.
Will STEM make them rich or change the world or both?
- Kids in India have the highest expectations of getting rich if they purse a career in STEM .
- Kids in Russia have the least.
- Mexican and Japanese kids feel more strongly that they could change the world.
- American kids are the most optimistic, with nearly half saying they could do BOTH.